Team Related News

According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, the Padres are among the teams with interest in trading for Matt Harvey.

The Rangers, Giants, Orioles, Mariners, and White Sox have also been linked to Harvey since he was designated for assignment by New York last week. Puma says the Mets are "telling interested teams they want a catcher" in return for the 29-year-old right-hander, who has registered a 7.00 ERA in four starts and four relief appearances this season. The Mets are expecting to find a trade partner within the next few days.
May 8 - 5:44 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Padres have been "talking internally" about Jake Arrieta.

Heyman cautions that this "seems like a long shot" and that the Padres will likely "go with the young pitchers they currently have in camp," but if Arrieta's asking price falls far enough there could be legitimate interest. Arrieta remains unsigned with just three weeks to go until Opening Day. The 32-year-old right-hander posted a 3.53 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 163/55 K/BB ratio over 168 1/3 innings (30 starts) last season with the Cubs.
Mar 8 - 12:03 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Dodgers, Padres, Giants and Rangers "are believed to have interest" in Tim Lincecum.

Grant Brisbee of SB Nation has reported that Lincecum has a guaranteed contract offer from one club, but it's unclear but it's unclear at this point which team it is (he did rule out the Giants). The two-time Cy Young winner didn't pitch anywhere in 2017 after posting a 9.16 ERA and 2.37 WHIP in nine starts with the Angels in 2016.
Feb 23 - 12:00 PM

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Eric Hosmer is at the Padres' spring training complex Monday in order to take his physical.

Assuming there aren't any red flags in the results, the Padres will make the contract with their new first baseman official and introduce Hosmer at a press conference Tuesday. Hosmer will make $105 million in the first five years of the deal ($5 million of that is a signing bonus) and $39 million in the three years after that if he doesn't exercise his opt-out.
Feb 19 - 4:31 PM

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres have agreed to a deal with free agent first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Finally, Hosmer is off the board. Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that it's an eight-year deal with an opt-out after five years. Meanwhile, Scott Miller of Bleacher Report hears the deal is worth $144 million. Of course, it has been reported for weeks that Hosmer had seven-year offers from both the Padres and the Royals, but San Diego apparently upped the ante to get a deal done. The deal blows away the previous franchise record (Wil Myers - $83 million) for a signing. By the way, with the addition of Hosmer, the Padres will shift Myers back to the outfield.
Feb 17 - 11:26 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Padres will be at Tim Lincecum's showcase on Thursday in Seattle.

Heyman notes that the Padres scouted Lincecum last year, although they obviously opted against signing him. Lincecum didn't pitch anywhere in 2017 and held a 9.16 ERA across nine starts for the Angels in 2016, but he's reportedly been topping 90 mph on the radar gun lately in workouts. Heyman has also reported that the Giants will be at the showcase.
Feb 12 - 7:50 PM

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres have engaged in "regular dialogue" with Eric Hosmer's agent, Scott Boras, over the past several days.

Lin adds that this contact followed a period where neither side was showing much urgency. Royals general manager Dayton Moore said in a radio interview last week that he's had a lot of recent discussion with Hosmer, so barring a mystery team, this still appears to be a two-horse race. It's believed that the clubs each have seven-year offers on the table, with the Padres' reported offer checking in at around $140 million while the Royals' reported offer was estimated at around $147 million. Boras apparently hasn't given up on the possibility that the Padres could top it.
Source: The Athletic
Feb 12 - 1:21 PM

Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler indicated during an appearance on The Mighty 1090 that the club isn't planning to make significant changes to their offer to free agent first baseman Eric Hosmer.

It was reported earlier this month that the club made a seven-year offer to Homser valued at less than $140 million. They appear to be holding firm for now. "I think we were pretty creative in the way we put a contract proposal together," said Fowler. "We like it. I don’t know if Mr. Boras likes it, but that’s probably another story." The Royals are likely the Padres' primary competition for Hosmer's services, though the Cardinals have also been mentioned as a possibility. Scott Boras is known for being patient with these situations, but something will have to give here soon.
Jan 16 - 1:05 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Padres have reached an agreement on a two-year contract with Japanese reliever Kazuhisa Makita.

The contract is reportedly in the neighborhood of $4 million. The 33-year-old submariner compiled a 1.91 ERA and 78/21 K/BB ratio over 141 1/3 innings over the last two seasons with the Seibu Lions. He'll likely function in a setup role for the Padres.
Jan 6 - 10:41 AM

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Padres "have emerged as strong favorites" to sign Japanese reliever Kazuhisa Makita.

This comes on the heels of a report out of Japan that Makita is on his way to the United States to take a physical. The 33-year-old submariner posted a 1.91 ERA and 78/21 K/BB ratio across 141 1/3 innings over the last two seasons for the Seibu Lions.
Jan 5 - 5:17 PM

Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune hears the Padres' seven-year offer to Eric Hosmer is for less than $140 million.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today pegged the offer right at $140 million in a report from Wednesday morning, but it sounds like the Padres haven't gone quite that high in their pursuit of the 28-year-old free agent first baseman. They might have to if they want to land him, as Nightengale also reported Wednesday that the Royals have made Hosmer a seven-year, $147 million offer to return to Kansas City. It's unclear where the Cardinals stand in all of this.
Jan 3 - 2:29 PM

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Royals have offered Eric Hosmer a seven-year, $147 million contract.

That would be double the largest contract the Royals have ever given to one player. Nightengale also notes that the Padres have a seven-year, $140 million deal on the table for Hosmer -- exactly $1 million less per year than the offer from Kansas City. It's unclear where the Cardinals -- Hosmer's other known suitor -- sit in this market. The 28-year-old first baseman posted a career-best .318/.385/.498 batting line with 25 home runs and 94 RBI over 162 games for Kansas City in 2017. He also won his fourth career Gold Glove, though advanced defensive metrics don't love him quite as much as the voting bloc. We might finally see some movement soon among the game's top free agents.
Source: USA Today
Jan 3 - 9:23 AM

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, free agent first baseman Eric Hosmer has a seven-year offer from the Padres.

No word on the exact terms of the offer, but it would presumably blow away the franchise record (James Shields - four years, $75 million) for a free agent signing. The Padres have been mentioned as a prominent suitor for Hosmer all along, with the Royals and Cardinals also in the mix. Hosmer just turned 28 in October, so a seven-year deal would take him through his age-34 season. If the Padres were to sign him, they would move Wil Myers back to the outfield.
Source: USA Today
Jan 2 - 2:03 PM

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick says the Royals are "looking like the Padres' main competition" for free agent first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Crasnick notes that the Royals have been more focused on re-signing Hosmer than the club's other big free agents, Lorenzo Cain and Mike Moustakas. Kansas City is in desperate need of a full organizational rebuild, so bringing back any of the three wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, but maybe the asking prices will fall into somewhat comfortable territory. Hosmer, 28, posted a career-best .318/.385/.498 batting line with 25 home runs and 94 RBI over 162 games in 2017. He also won his fourth career Gold Glove, though advanced defensive metrics aren't so kind to his play at first base.
Thu, Dec 21, 2017 02:25:00 PM

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the Padres have an agreement to acquire Freddy Galvis from the Phillies in exchange for pitching prospect Enyel De Los Santos.

Bleacher Report's Scott Miller first reported earlier Friday that talks between the Padres and Phillies were getting serious. Galvis is a plus defender and batted .255/.309/.382 with 12 homers and 14 steals in 2017. He'll be a free agent after the season, giving San Diego a stopgap at shortstop until Fernando Tatis Jr. is ready.
Fri, Dec 15, 2017 12:00:00 PM

Bleacher Report's Scott Miller reports that the Padres are in "serious" talks with the Phillies to acquire Freddy Galvis.

Miller adds that it's "close enough that a deal could happen today." Galvis has been connected to the Padres this week as they sought to upgrade their shortstop situation. The 28-year-old batted .255/.309/.382 with 12 homers and 14 steals over 162 games in 2017 and offers plus defense. Trading Galvis allows the Phillies to install J.P. Crawford at shortstop.
Fri, Dec 15, 2017 10:55:00 AM

USA Today's Bob Nightengale writes that the Padres have become the "clear-cut favorites" for free agent Eric Hosmer.

Nightengale says the Padres have had two face-to-face meetings with Hosmer and his camp, presumably at this week's Winter Meetings in Orlando. But this of course will all come down to money and agent Scott Boras offered no indication Wednesday in his annual scrum with the media that Hosmer has lowered his sky-high asking price. Nightengale notes that the Red Sox are also "lurking" on the 28-year-old first baseman, who posted a career-best .318/.385/.498 batting line with 25 home runs and 94 RBI over 162 games for the Royals in 2017. He also earned his fourth career Gold Glove, though advanced defensive metrics aren't as kind to him as the folks who vote on those awards.
Thu, Dec 14, 2017 08:55:00 AM

Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune hears the Padres are among the teams that have inquired about Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reported Wednesday that the Marlins intend to keep Yelich with the intention of structuring their rebuild around the 26-year-old outfielder, who is under control through 2021 with a club option for 2022. But there are rumblings that Yelich wants out of Miami after watching Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, and Dee Gordon all get shipped off to other teams over the last week. San Diego has the prospects to get it done, though there would be offers coming in from a range of clubs -- both contending and non-contending -- if the Marlins decide to open up the bidding. MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reported Tuesday that the Braves and Diamondbacks have expressed interest.
Thu, Dec 14, 2017 07:10:00 AM

Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the Yankees have traded third baseman Chase Headley and right-hander Bryan Mitchell to the Padres.

Finally, some action at the Winter Meetings. It's a reunion of sorts, as Headley was originally drafted by the Padres and played the first eight seasons of his career with the club. He's due $13 million in 2018, so the move helps the Yankees cut some payroll in order to make other additions and stay under the luxury tax. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Padres will indeed cover his remaining salary. Headley turns 34 next May and batted .273/.352/.406 with 12 homers and 61 RBI over 147 games this past season. Mitchell, 26, owns a 4.94 ERA and 64/44 K/BB ratio over 98 1/3 innings in the majors. The Padres think the change of scenery could pay off. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that outfielder Jabari Blash is coming back to the Yankees in the deal.
Tue, Dec 12, 2017 11:15:00 AM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports writes that the Padres are "thinking big" and remain "strongly" in the mix for free agent first baseman Eric Hosmer.

The Padres aren't messing around, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that members of the front office met with Hosmer last Thursday. Based on the early reports, they are the most aggressive team thus far. However, it's likely going to take a $100-plus million contract in order to land him. If the Padres were to sign Hosmer, they'd move Wil Myers back to the outfield.
Tue, Dec 12, 2017 08:58:00 AM


Video Center

  •  
    NASCAR Fantasy: Coke 600

    NASCAR Fantasy: Coke 600
  •  
    MLB: Buy, hold or sell?

    MLB: Buy, hold or sell?
  •  
    Waiver Wire: Need saves?

    Waiver Wire: Need saves?
  •  
    Baseball: Buy, hold, sell

    Baseball: Buy, hold, sell
  •  
    Waiver wire: Top SP targets

    Waiver wire: Top SP targets
  •  
    NASCAR Fantasy: Kansas

    NASCAR Fantasy: Kansas
  •  
    MLB: Sell Paxton, Buy Bird

    MLB: Sell Paxton, Buy Bird
  •  
    Top MLB waiver wire adds

    Top MLB waiver wire adds