Team Related News

According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox don't appear to be interested in acquiring Matt Harvey.

Given their injury woes behind the plate, some have speculated that a swap of Harvey for Blake Swihart could make some sense, but it doesn't sound like the Red Sox have any interest.
Source: Boston Globe
May 6 - 7:07 PM

Mariners acquired LHP Roenis Elias from the Red Sox for a player to be named or cash.

Elias returns to his original organization after never getting any sort of chance to make his mark in Boston; he pitched just eight innings in the majors over two-plus seasons after coming over with Carson Smith in the Wade Miley trade. He makes a lot of sense for a Mariners team lacking rotation depth. The Red Sox had been using him as a reliever in Triple-A, so he'll have to be stretched back out in the minors. However, he could see time in the Mariners rotation later this year. He was 15-20 with a 3.97 ERA for the club between 2014 and 2015.
Apr 23 - 1:40 PM

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Red Sox have acquired outfielder Ramon Flores from the Diamondbacks.

No official announcement has been made. Flores, 25, appeared in three games with the Angels last season and batted 312/.409/.460 with 10 homers and 12 steals over 115 games in Triple-A. He'll serve as outfield depth in Boston's minor league system.
Mar 26 - 6:03 PM

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Red Sox will indeed announce the J.D. Martinez signing at a press conference on Monday morning.

That confirms what we have heard from other reports throughout the day on Sunday. Heyman also notes that the terms of the contract, five-years and $110 million are expected to remain the same. The Red Sox were very thorough in their medical review process and have worked with Martinez and his representatives to adjust some of the language in his contract, but the overall terms will remain the same.
Feb 25 - 6:54 PM

The press conference to announce J.D. Martinez's contract with the Red Sox "could be as early as Monday morning," according to Ian Browne of MLB.com.

Browne says the Red Sox and Martinez's agent Scott Boras "had a productive weekend adjusting contract language." It's not clear what exactly those adjustments will be. Martinez reportedly agreed to a five-year, $110 million free agent deal with Boston last week before some issues arose during his medical review, apparently involving a foot injury. Martinez did miss the early part of the 2017 season because of a Lisfranc sprain. There should be more clarification on all of this within the next 24 hours or so.
Feb 25 - 5:19 PM

Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports that hold-up in J.D. Martinez's contract being finalized is related to logistics in reviewing medical reports.

There was a belief that Martinez would have his deal with the Red Sox officially announced on Wednesday, but Drellich says that finalization will likely come Thursday, at the earliest. Because the Red Sox's medical team is Boston-based and there are often specialists involved in these physical exams -- particularly on contracts as large as Martinez's -- there is understandably a longer wait for everything to get sorted out. Drellich also cautions there are no issues anticipated with the examination(s), so there's no reason to panic. Martinez, 30, has agreed to a five-year $110 million contract with the Red Sox that contains opt outs after the second and third years.
Feb 21 - 6:55 PM

ESPN's Pedro Gomez reports that a deal between the Red Sox and J.D. Martinez is "done."

It's a five-year, $110 million contract with opt outs after the second and third years of the deal. The deal is front-loaded, as Martinez will make $50 million in the first two years and $72 million in the first three, per Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston. Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports was first to report that there was momentum for a deal between the two sides. The Red Sox and Martinez seemed destined to wind up together even as it took much longer than expected. He will serve as Boston's designated hitter, pushing Hanley Ramirez to first base.
Feb 19 - 5:19 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Red Sox and J.D. Martinez are "moving close to a deal."

Heyman cautions that the contract isn't done yet, but it sounds like there is momentum. The particulars of the possible deal aren't known, but it's been reported previously that the Red Sox had been offering a five-year pact in the $100-125 million range. Martinez would serve as Boston's designated hitter, pushing Hanley Ramirez to first base.
Feb 19 - 4:20 PM

According to Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston, the Red Sox were still in negotiations for J.D. Martinez on Monday.

There's nothing to indicate that anything is close, but the two sides have been an obvious match all offseason and remain in touch. Something will have to give eventually, though, as Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe wrote earlier Monday that the Red Sox were "prepared to move on entirely or to another player." Of course, that could just be posturing. The Red Sox reportedly have a five-year offer in the $100 million range on the table while the Diamondbacks might not be willing to match such a guarantee.
Feb 19 - 3:29 PM

According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox remain "open" to a deal with free agent slugger J.D. Martinez.

The Red Sox owners defended the team's current roster in a press conference Monday morning, but they haven't ruled out bringing in Martinez if the price is right. It was reported last week that the club is reluctant to improve their current offer, which is believed to be in the range of five years and $100 million. Their need for Martinez is clear, but they appear to be standing firm. In fact, Abraham hears that the club is "prepared to move on entirely or to another player."
Feb 19 - 11:34 AM

Tony Watson is drawing interest from the Giants, Phillies, and Red Sox, reports Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported earlier Tuesday that the Giants were in serious talks with the veteran reliever. According to Heyman, the interest in Watson extends beyond the three teams mentioned. The 32-year-old is coming off a 3.38 ERA and 53/20 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings in 2017. He'd be a fine bullpen addition just about anywhere.
Feb 13 - 2:03 PM

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Diamondbacks have broached "creative" ways to retain free agent slugger J.D. Martinez.

The Red Sox have been viewed as the favorites and are reluctant to improve their offer, which is reportedly in the five-year, $100 million range. The Diamondbacks appear concerned about what giving a big contract to Martinez would mean for their chances of retaining Paul Goldschmidt long-term, but they are still holding out hope to get something done. The specifics of the "creative" offer are unclear, but it's believed they are considering a higher AAV (average annual value) on a shorter contract with opt-outs included. It's unclear if Martinez's agent, Scott Boras, will be receptive to such an offer, but Heyman writes that one Diamondbacks person "expressed a bit more optimism than before" about their chances.
Feb 13 - 1:57 PM

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that agent Scott Boras met with Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick within the past week regarding free agent outfielder J.D. Martinez.

Per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the two sides have had multiple meetings this offseason, so this doesn't necessarily mean that something is close. However, with pitchers and catchers reporting this week, something will have to give sooner rather than later. Heyman reported late last week that offers from Arizona and Boston "are believed to be at very similar levels," likely in the $115-125 million range. We could be reaching crunch time.
Feb 12 - 10:03 AM

Evan Drellich of NBC Boston reports that Logan Morrison and the Red Sox "have been in touch recently."

Drellich notes that the Red Sox are still viewing J.D. Martinez as their No. 1 priority, but "there is groundwork for alternatives." Morrison looks like a good backup plan and would obviously come at a much cheaper price than Martinez. The former Ray batted .246/.353/.516 with a career-high 38 home runs last season.
Feb 9 - 1:04 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Red Sox' and Diamondbacks' offers to J.D. Martinez "are believed to be at very similar levels."

It's been reported that the Red Sox' offer is in the $115-125 million range, and it sounds like the Diamondbacks' offer is in the same ballpark. Obviously, Martinez hasn't deemed either offer good enough and Heyman hears the 30-year-old is willing to wait it out as long as he needs to for more money. Heyman also adds that Martinez enjoyed his time in Arizona and would prefer to play the outfield rather than serve as a designated hitter as he'd be in Boston. However, the Red Sox can likely offer Martinez the most money. Things are currently at a standstill.
Feb 8 - 7:35 PM

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, free agent slugger J.D. Martinez is discussing short-team and long-term offers with the Diamondbacks.

Nightengale doesn't indicate what a short-term or long-term deal could look like with Arizona, but it's certainly interesting news, especially after the report Tuesday of Martinez's frustrations with the Red Sox and their "inflexible" negotiating process. Martinez finished his 2017 campaign with the Diamondbacks, crushing National League pitching to the tune of a 1.107 OPS in 62 games and finishing with 45 total home runs between the D'Backs and Tigers. His bat obviously fits well at Arizona's power-friendly Chase Field.
Feb 7 - 9:32 PM

Super-agent Scott Boras denied Wednesday that J.D. Martinez is unhappy with the Red Sox and their contract negotiations.

Boras told Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald that Martinez is "involved in multiple negotiations and is pleased with the participants and the good faith process," and that any suggestions to the contrary are inaccurate. It was reported Tuesday by Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic that Martinez is fed up with Boston's lack of flexibility at the negotiating table, and that he would prefer to sign with another team. It's still believed that the Red Sox have the highest offer to Martinez at five years, $125 million, but Boras has called that offer inaccurate as well. The saga continues, with spring training quickly approaching.
Feb 7 - 8:51 PM

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Red Sox expressed trade interest in Edwin Encarnacion earlier this winter.

But the Indians reportedly wanted outfielder Jackie Bradley in return and Boston's front office ended the discussion there. Nightengale suggests that the Red Sox may revisit the Encarnacion trade idea if they are unable to land free agent slugger J.D. Martinez, who is said to be "fed up" with Boston's unwillingness to up its long-standing five-year, $125 million offer to him. Encarnacion signed a three-year, $60 million free agent contract with Cleveland last winter and went to slash .258/.377/.504 with 38 home runs and 107 RBI in 157 games.
Source: USA Today
Feb 7 - 1:54 PM

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, free agent J.D. Martinez "is telling people that he is fed up with the Red Sox's inflexibility and would rather sign with another club."

Rosenthal notes that this might be a case of "posturing" on the part of Martinez and his agent Scott Boras, who have both become increasingly frustrated by the lack of action and high-dollar offers on the open market this winter. Boston is still believed to have made the most lucrative proposal to Martinez at five years, $125 million. The 30-year-old slugger began the offseason looking for something closer to seven years, $200 million after tallying 45 homers and 104 RBI in just 119 games last summer between the Tigers and Diamondbacks.
Source: The Athletic
Feb 6 - 11:17 PM

Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports the Red Sox are looking to add both a power bat and a left-handed reliever before the start of the season.

Speaking at a charity event, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said, "Ideally we'd like to add power to the lineup, it's not easy to find." The team is believed to have the highest offer on the table for outfielder J.D. Martinez at five years, $125 million. The 30-year-old slugger slashed .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in just 119 games last season with the Tigers and Diamondbacks. Dombrowski said the Red Sox are "ready and willing to move" whenever the free agent market revives.
Feb 2 - 9:16 PM


Video Center

  •  
    Baseball: Buy, hold, sell

    Baseball: Buy, hold, sell
  •  
    Waiver wire: Top SP targets

    Waiver wire: Top SP targets
  •  
    NASCAR Fantasy: Kansas

    NASCAR Fantasy: Kansas
  •  
    MLB: Sell Paxton, Buy Bird

    MLB: Sell Paxton, Buy Bird
  •  
    Top MLB waiver wire adds

    Top MLB waiver wire adds
  •  
    NASCAR Fantasy: Dover

    NASCAR Fantasy: Dover
  •  
    Draft: Norris

    Draft: Norris' latest mock
  •  
    Draft: Moore would help CAR

    Draft: Moore would help CAR