Player News - Marlins

Date: Team: Pos:

Marlins sent RHP Severino Gonzalez outright to Triple-A New Orleans.

He's now off the 40-man roster. All of Gonzalez's appearances last season came in the minors, where he held a 4.82 ERA between Double- and Triple-A.
Feb 18 - 8:43 AM

Dan Straily lost his arbitration case and will make $3.37 million in 2018.

Straily had requested $3.55 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility. The right-hander held a 4.26 ERA with 170 strikeouts over 181 2/3 innings last season.
Feb 16 - 1:15 PM

Marlins manager Don Mattingly said Thursday in camp that Jarlin Garcia "will be a starter" this year.

Garcia could take one of Miami's open major league rotation spots if everything goes well for him this spring. There's also a possibility that the Marlins will decide to put him in the Opening Day rotation at Triple-A New Orleans to get a little more seasoning. The 25-year-old left-hander broke in as a reliever last season, posting a 4.73 ERA and 42/17 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings for the Fish.
Feb 15 - 9:57 AM

Marlins manager Don Mattingly said Wednesday that Wei-Yin Chen (elbow) is not expected to be ready for Opening Day.

Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill suggested last week that Chen could have a spot in the club's Opening Day rotation, but Mattingly pumped the brakes on that idea on the first official day of spring training. Chen has been trying to rehab a partial tear of the UCL in his left elbow, rather than undergo Tommy John surgery. He's due $10 million in 2018 plus an $8 million deferred bonus. Chen also carries a $20 million guarantee in 2019 and a $22 million guarantee in 2020. Derek Jeter couldn't shed this albatross.
Feb 14 - 1:22 PM

Garrett Cooper will get some time in the outfield this season, Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said.

Cooper hit .359/.423/.634 in the minors this past season and was acquired from the Yankees in a November trade. He'll also likely back up Justin Bour at first base. A name for NL-only owners to keep in mind for a later date, perhaps.
Source: Miami Herald
Feb 10 - 4:16 PM

Craig Mish of Sirius XM reports that the Astros have engaged in trade discussions for Marlins' catcher J.T. Realmuto.

Mish notes that outfielder Kyle Tucker is the ask from the Marlins. The Marlins would seemingly like to deal Realmuto away before the season begins, but they understand what a valuable commodity they have and won't simply give him away.
Feb 10 - 3:24 PM

Marlins' team president of baseball operations David Hill confirmed Saturday that Brad Ziegler will head into spring training as the team's closer.

The veteran right-hander has long been expected to begin the season in that role, though if he pitches well it's likely he'll be dealt to a contender at the trade deadline. Kyle Barraclough and Drew Steckenrider still loom if Ziegler should struggle.
Feb 10 - 1:37 PM

Marlins' president of baseball operations Michael Hill said Saturday that Wei-Yin Chen (elbow) has been cleared to resume throwing.

He also indicated that Chen projects to hold a spot in the club's Opening Day rotation. The veteran southpaw is trying to go the rest and rehab route to recovery rather than undergoing Tommy John surgery, so there's considerable injury risk to be had here.
Feb 10 - 1:34 PM

Marlins' manager Don Mattingly said Saturday that Derek Dietrich would open the season as the club's starting left fielder.

He also said that's the only spot in the outfield that has been decided so far. Lewis Brinson is expected to start in center field, but will have to earn his position in spring training. Martin Prado could be used in the other corner outfield spot, or could wind up in the infield.
Feb 10 - 12:02 PM

Marlins signed INF/OF Eric Campbell to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Campbell hit .221/.312/.311 over 505 plate appearances from 2014-16 with the Mets before playing 21 games in Japan in 2017. The 30-year-old will try to win a utility job.
Feb 5 - 8:18 PM

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Nationals remain in touch with the Marlins about a trade for J.T. Realmuto, but that no progress has been made.

The Marlins are reportedly asking for either Victor Robles or Juan Soto, but the Nationals are understandably holding firm. There's still room for compromise here, but the Marlins could find a more appealing offer elsewhere. Realmuto, who has made no secret about his desire to be traded, just lost his arbitration case against the Marlins last week and will make a $2.9 million salary in 2018.
Feb 5 - 11:37 AM

J.T. Realmuto lost his arbitration case against the Marlins and will earn a $2.9 million salary in 2018.

Realmuto had been hoping to make $3.5 million in his first winter of arbitration eligibility. The catcher batted .278/.332/.451 with 17 home runs and 65 RBI last season for the Marlins. Realmuto has reportedly requested a trade and the Nationals are one team known to have interest.
Feb 2 - 4:06 PM

Justin Bour won his arbitration case against the Marlins and will earn a $3.4 million salary in 2018.

The Marlins had proposed $3 million. Bour, who was eligible for arbitration for the first time this offseason, batted .289/.366/.536 with 25 home runs and 83 RBI across 108 games last season for Miami. He'll be a good power bet again in 2018 if he can stay healthy, but RBI opportunities will be harder to come by after the Marlins traded away half of their regulars.
Feb 2 - 4:00 PM

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald notes that Justin Bour has not asked the Marlins for a trade.

That's news-worthy because Christian Yelich and J.T. Realmuto both made trade requests following the departures of Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna. Yelich was dealt to the Brewers earlier this month and the Marlins are known to be shopping Realmuto. Bour is under Miami's control through 2020 and it seems he is more willing to be part of the club's aggressive organizational rebuild. The 29-year-old first baseman became eligible for salary arbitration for the first time this winter after batting .289/.366/.536 with 25 home runs and 83 RBI in 108 games last season. He requested $3.4 million and was offered $3 million by the Marlins when arbitration figures were exchanged on January 12.
Source: Miami Herald
Jan 31 - 12:19 PM

Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reports Marlins RHP Ryan Newell has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The 26-year-old pitched in only five games last year for the Single-A Jupiter Hammerheads but the results were impressive. He punched out 15 batters while issuing two walks in 12 2/3 innings en route to a 1.42 ERA. He was a seventh-round pick in the 2012 draft.
Jan 26 - 6:42 PM


Highest Searched Players over the last 7 days


Video Center

  •  
    Heat Making Major Moves

    Heat Making Major Moves
  •  
    Cavs Must Figure Out Roles

    Cavs Must Figure Out Roles
  •  
    Waivers: Cole

    Waivers: Cole's Time to Shine
  •  
    Matchups: Bortles vs. Texans

    Matchups: Bortles vs. Texans
  •  
    Dose: Osweiler leads DEN

    Dose: Osweiler leads DEN
  •  
    RotoPat: Start Rodgers

    RotoPat: Start Rodgers
  •  
    Rankings: Steelers on top

    Rankings: Steelers on top
  •  
    Dose: Rodgers returns for GB

    Dose: Rodgers returns for GB